Monday 30 January 2006

But we dance just as good as we walk

Last night I went to a Burns Night celebration. It was a lot of fun. I ate sort of a large lunch that day, I was a bit worried about the whole haggis thing. But it actually went way better than my experience with the fish and chips. I wouldn't go way out of my way to eat it again, but I thought it was actually pretty decent. I'm still in a bit of denial over what it was though. Maybe that helped.

I'm not sure how they decided who would get what. Some people got just scoops of the filling stuff, but I got the whole actual lump thing with the casing. Nervous but I figured I had to experience it, I was there after all. Tatties were pretty average, the neeps I could take or leave those not having a huge love of turnips. The carrots were all gone by the time the dish got to me, but no big loss there.

Then a bit of poetry and song. I've decided that I really need a great accent. My total lack of one, I don't think it serves me well. Gee, you sound like you come from the middle of Kansas maybe or maybe Nebraska or some other desolate state we have never heard of. Many of the women I was there with were just swooning over the Scottish accents as they read the poems, even when they were reading the bawdy parody poems.

The dancing was fun. The Muckers were pleasant enough. I liked them a lot better than the band we saw at another ceilidh last month, that one just sounded like funeral music and was a bit depressing. This was much happier and cheerful. The dances were completely confusing though. We laughed and tried to figure out what to do when she said time to strip the willow or whatever the ones were. Even the people who said they had to learn all of these in P.E. class were a bit confused too. I think I might need to do a bit more homework before the next one.

2 comments:

Deviled Hampton said...

what exactly is burns night?

i can't believe you liked haggis more than fish & chips!

Mothlight said...

Burns Night is a yearly celebration of the Scottish poet Robert Burns. So, supper, poetry, dancing, the whole deal.

I'm probably more surprised than you that I liked haggis. I spent years thinking it sounded totally disgusting, well, it still does, but really it wasn't so bad. Sort of sausage flavored oatmeal or something like that.