Tuesday 24 January 2006

Run OJ run

In case you haven't turned on the news in the last few days, we had a whale swimming up and down the Thames River. Most of the action was centered in the Battersea area where it seemed to have mostly hung out and where the news crews were camping out. The hype was enormous. My parents even asked if I had seen it.

But no, I missed it all. Battersea is way on the other side of town. I had been planning on riding down there on my bike on Sunday, but that was too late, it (I guess they figured out it was a she now) had already died by then. Saturday, I was on my way out when I heard they had scooped it up and was on the move. I tried to hurry down to the river, but by the time I got to London Bridge, they had already gone by. I guess I missed it by about 15 minutes.

Oh well. It isn't like it was possible to miss the coverage on tv. BBC24 became the whale channel for a few days there. If only the whale had been driving a white Bronco, just imagine the hype then. I could tell my grandchildren, let me tell you where I was the day the whale swam up the river.

No comments: