Thursday 12 January 2006

This could be the last time, maybe the last time, I don't know

So, I've lived in England for a year and a half and I haven't had fish and chips yet. There were so many things stopping me. What if I go to somewhere awful, won't that just ruin the whole experience? So, I wanted the first experience to at least be a decent one. And I'm not really a fried food kind of person. Usually it just doesn't agree with me.

So, ok, I took this guy's advice, and assumed that he knew what he was talking about and that it was one of the better ones. How sad is it that it was right across the street from where I work. So the convenience factor was there then. So, I convinced my Canadian coworker who hadn't had any yet either that she had to go with me.

I have nothing to compare it to, I'll assume it was good, but I've gotta say, I'm feeling it now. I suppose it was nice and flaky and crispy and all that. It just seemed kind of bland though. You would think there would be more taste with all that grease and stuff.

I don't know, do you need to grow up eating this stuff? Maybe I don't get it. I suppose it was good but I won't be terribly upset if I go another 18 months without having any. It does feel like I ate a pound of raw cookie dough and now it is expanding in my stomach. It might actually be a lot longer until the next time.

4 comments:

Deviled Hampton said...

a big part of the whole fish n' chips thing, i think, is that its a vehicle for salt and malt vinegar. also, that stuff tastes much better after a pint or two. on our visits, our favorite place was dionysis, at tottenham court and oxford. they don't tend to do much with the batter in england, it can be kind of bland. some places try to spice up the batter over here, with varying results. but it helps each spot to have its own unique flavor.

Mothlight said...

So, it sounds like I strike out in a lot of ways. I don't enjoy vinegar. I can't really stand a lot of salt. And probably more importantly, I was deprived a grease filled diet growing up so at this point I can't stomach greasy stuff. That's what I meant about the growing alien in my stomach. Maybe it isn't just a cultural divide but it goes deeper than that.

Ham said...

Oh well. Maybe its a cultural thing, then. Ketchup for the fish, salt & vinegar for the chips....Sorry you didn't enjoy it that much.

In partial defence, the fish you get these days isn't a patch on what it used to be, especially the cod which is bland anyway (over fishing). One alternative you could have tried is haddock, instead of cod.

Always remember Thomas Beecham's addage: "There are only two things one should never try in life, Morris Dancing and Incest"

Mothlight said...

I seem to remember that I ordered halibut and not cod. When it is all battered up and fried, is there really that much difference? Much like fried vegetables are more a way to support the batter than actually count as a vegetable.

I've been repeatedly warned against Morris Dancing. I eventually looked around and found a online video of it. I ended up having nightmares for days of freaky scary people dancing around in my dreams after that. So yeah, I will do whatever it takes to stay far away from that.