Friday 5 August 2005

Going Underground

So, I suppose you have all heard about the events with London mass transit lately. On July 7th, I really didn't get my money's worth out of my daily ticket that day.


Luckily, I didn't really have that many places to go or very far to go, especially after most everything closed down. It was quite odd walking through Covent Garden and it was completely deserted, or everything in Leicester Square was shut up. The restaurant we did finally find around there that was open, they seemed happy to see anybody at all and for quite some time, we were the only ones in the whole place.


I've taken it a few times since then, just today in fact (on a Thursday even). We sat in one station for about 15 minutes as they kept announcing on the loudspeaker that a few stops up, the police were searching a train, so we might be there for a bit while they did that. Everybody mostly just listened to their ipods.

Mostly, I have been riding my bike to work, which is probably way more dangerous than taking the subway. It is a bit freaky nosing out there in front of one of those huge buses. I usually try to follow somebody else who looks like they know what they are doing.

And I feel a little better riding in the middle of a pack, especially when you are shifting into the center lanes in one of the roundabouts. It is probably just as easy to hit 10 people on bikes as just a single person, but still, it makes me feel a bit better.

But dangers aside, it is probably healthier riding my bike and it is much more enjoyable. Eventually, I'll stop getting lost every day. Ok, I generally know where I am, but you take one wrong turn and you can get turned around really fast. You can't just go straight anywhere.

No comments: