Tuesday 16 August 2005

Original ground zero

This weekend, I did a bit of exploring by bike. Yesterday, I went with a bike group riding around Epping Forest. It is a quite pretty and ancient forest (8000 BC) and it is cool that 6000 acres of forest exists just a moderate bike ride from east London. It rained hard too and we got very wet and muddy. It was a nice ride up the tow paths along the River Lea (ok, going past the big recycling center wasn't terribly pretty and rather smelly for quite some time after) and then through the funky old town of Waltham Abbey.

On Saturday, I went to see ground zero. That is 0.0°, the center of the world. Ok, at least an arbitrary center that eventually everybody agreed on. But the Royal Observatory in Greenwich. It was a nice ride down the Regent Canal,



past Limehouse Basin,



and then through Canary Wharf



and under the Thames through the pedestrian tunnel.



I've really liked the canals so far. There seems to be a whole culture of people who cruise up and down the canals all over the country. I'm not sure how many of them live full time on their boats. But it makes for pretty scenery as you are riding and the tow paths are a great way to get through town since they bypass normal traffic.

I'm not so sure I'm convinced by the tunnel to Greenwich. Walking a long way in an old tunnel 50 meters under the Thames, I just don't know.




The lift operators were pretty funny, he was sprawled out on his stool and I don't think he took his eyes off the gossip magazine he was reading the whole time to operate it.

Greenwich Park itself was nice. It is a rather large park with a nice view from the top of the hill.



There was a super long line to go into the observatory and I'm not sure I saw the point. I've probably crossed over or had my feet on the Prime Meridian lots of times in the past few weeks, so I don't think my life would be any richer to have toured the site. Sure it was free, but the line looked like a drag. Besides, it was starting to rain and I wanted to get home before it really started coming down.

2 comments:

Micharl Purphy said...

How could you possible claim to have a ground zero when the only thing yours does is claime the actual coordinates of ground zero. On another note, I wish I was living on a boat cruising up and down the Thames or whatever catching fish and singing Amreican Pie. Bye Bye.

Mothlight said...

I didn't claim it, it just is. Look at a map, buddy.

The ice cream man drives around my neighborhood blasting Yankee Doodle, is that close enough to your dream life?