Wednesday 10 August 2005

It could be worse, I could be in Hull

Smash. What's that sound? Oh, it is just the smug and reassuring sound of somebody else's community being slammed. The news this morning that is making the rounds is the release yesterday of the worst places to live in the UK and Hull topped the list. (Hmm, I shouldn't get so smug, I looked at a place to live in #4, Hackney. But I did hate it and rejected it, so there.)

So, they even trotted out the mayor of Hull on GMTV this morning to lamely attempt to defend his city. A preschool breakfast program, I think that was the bulk of his defense as he hopefully suggested that perhaps they weren't a total failure, maybe they were an F++.

But these surveys are pretty funny. The List. They never really talk much about those places that are at the top of the list of the best places. Yeah, there was a list of those too, but I didn't bother looking at it. It is much more fun looking at the losers. And I suppose if you had like 8 zillion pounds, you would already be living in the best places, so what's the point.

In Colorado, the loser list was forever topped by Pueblo and after a while they just stopped even trying to defend themselves. I suppose too that part of my proud heritage was attending the University of Colorado, which is usually on the list of top 10 party schools. Woo, go Buffs, we are just oh so proud. But I guess we will see too what will happen here once the drinking laws go 24 hours.

2 comments:

Micharl Purphy said...

Dear Care Bear,

I'll be there as soon as the drinking time goes 24 hours. That's when the real fun starts. You never have time of a hangover.

Chaz

Mothlight said...

You might be out of luck though. Lots of people are making an uproar about it before it goes in place, if it does go in place, police chiefs and people like that. Out of control drunken debauchery, blah blah blah. But gee, if you can't get a pint at 4 am, is life really worth living?